Holy Family

Barrio Anita's Spiritual Foundation

by Zobeida Orozco

Unlike today, religion was a big thing back in the thirties and forties. Alfred Tellez, long-time Barrio Anita resident, remembers that when he was growing up "everybody [in Barrio Anita] went to Holy Family." Indeed, as we interviewed people, we heard Holy Family was the spiritual foundation for many people in Barrio Anita.

Bishop Henry Granjon built Holy Family Church in 1913. On January 24,1915, it was inaugurated. On September 6, 1915, the Carmelite Fathers took charge. The first parish priest was Very Reverend Father Luke, O.C.D. On April 10, 1924, Father Carmelo took charge of the church.

En 1913 la Iglesia de la Sagrada Familia fué construída por el Sr. Obispo Enrique Grajón . EI día 24 de enero de 1915 fué inaugurada. Tomaron posesión de la Parroquia los Carmelitas el día 6 de septiembre de 1915. El M. Rdo. Padre Lucas fué su primer Párroco. Padre Carmelo fué nombrado Párroco en el mes de abril de 1924.

A sample of Parish Organizations in 1939 includes/Una Muestra de organizaciónes en nuestra Parroquia en 1939 son: Our Altar Boys/Nuestros Sacristanes; Our Choir/Coro Musical; Our Study Clubs/Nuestro Club de Estudio; Altar Society/Sociedad de Altares; Sodality of Our Lady of Mount Carmel/La Semana Devota de la Virgen del Carmen; Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus/Cofradia del Sagrado Corazon de Jesús; Confraternity of the Infant Jesus of Praga/ Archicofradia del Niño Jesús de Praga; The Little Flower Club/Club de Santa Theresita; St. Vincent's Club/Club San Vicente; St. Cecilia's Musical Club/Club Musical Santa Cecilia.

Sources:
The Memorial Book of Holy Family Church/Silver Jubilee. Tucson, AZ.: Holy Family Church, 1939; Alfred Tellez interview, 6/16/98