Phyllis and Edward Soza
The author has
long been member-associated with the Arizona Historical Society
(AHS) and the Tucson Heritage Foundation (THF), where he served
on the Board of Director. The principal role of the THF was the
restoration of a 19th century adobe residence, downtown Tucson,
which General John Charles Fremont had rented briefly in 1881, when
serving as Arizona's 5th Territorial Governor.
The adobe had
been deemed a historically significant structure, because it was
Tucson's only remaining building connecting Tucson to Arizona's
Territorial Period. The dwelling, saved from urban renewal demolition,
was originally named the John Charles Fremont House/Casa del Gobernador
when dedicated in 1973 by Mrs. Richard M. Nixon.
In 1992, the
Board of Directors of the Arizona Historical Society renamed the
structure, the Sosa-Carrillo-Fremont House Museum, in recognition
of the three families most closely associated with the house. This
action amicably closed the circle on a previously contentious issue.
View a QTVR panorama of the Sosa-Carrillo-Fremont House Museum. Get the free QuickTime player.
at 1973 dedication of the
Fremont Museum/Casa del Gobernador
From the Soza
family's perspective, the property is historically linked to the
progenitor of the Arizona Sosa, Soza families. The lineage flows
directly from Alferez Josť Maria Sosa 1746-c.1810 to grandson Josť
Maria Sosa 111, thence to his daughter Manuela Sosa McKenna.
Historical Society, bestowed on this writer, its highly coveted
AL MERITO AWARD on February 19, 1975, at a luncheon ceremony at
the Arizona Inn, Tucson.
at age 1
Benson, Arizona, 1922