At his San Antonio
Ranch, Redington, Antonio constructed an adobe church structure,
dedicated to the glory of God and his patron saint. On February
2, 1903, a modest one room adobe chapel was officially dedicated
as the Capilla de San Antonio de Padua de Lisboa.
history related to this writer, was that Bishop Henry Granjon officiated
at the dedication, with Rev. Father Julio Gheldof of Benson assisting.
However Bishop Granjon's travel diary does not record this dedication
activity. Family members closer to the event have reiterated that
Granjon and Gheldof participated in the dedication.91
On January 6,
1939, Jesus Moreno de Soza and her daughter Maria S. de Gonzales
were interviewed at AHS for the purpose of recording Jesus M. de
Soza's oral history and reminiscences.92
In this document,
Maria S. de Gonzales related that her father,
built the church and had the Rev. Julio Geldorph (sic) come to
the ranch. Antonio promised he would bear all expenses if he would
come and baptize the children. The priest told Antonio to build
a church, and he did. Father Girard paid for the lumber bought
from the Benson Lumber Yard, and Antonio had the adobes made and
got the equipment. When finished Rev. Granjon went to bless the
church, he was the priest at Tombstone at that time. Father Granjon
blessed the church and dedicated it to St. Anthony and was to
be called San Antonio and the ranch also....
would later describe to his niece, Ana Elias, his recall of the
chapel's shape and form. The resulting drawing93 again attributes the dedication to Bishop
Granjon, with Rev. Father Julio Gheldof assisting.
with: Ranch Schools