Heritage: The Story of St. Mary's Hospital, 1880-1980
By Leo G. Bryne and Sister Alberta Cammack, C.S.J
Chapter II Modern Medical Complex
At this time, nurses were feeling the burden of the polio epidemics plus Tucson's population growth, and in 1954, a group of 22 women organized an Auxiliary to free nurses and other hospital personnel from extra duties so that they could devote themselves to direct patient care. The active members gave at least three hours a week assisting floor nurses with routine records, feeding infants in the Nursery, and helping amuse children in the Pediatric Ward. They also transported outpatients and were on duty at the Information Desk. Since that time, the Auxiliary has rendered invaluable assistance through voluntary services and fund-raising projects.
Continue with Chapter II Modern Medical Complex Health Insurance