Heritage: The Story of St. Mary's Hospital, 1880-1980
By Leo G. Bryne and Sister Alberta Cammack, C.S.J
Chapter II Modern Medical Complex
In 1956, Pima County proposed to build a juvenile detention home on property adjacent to St. Mary's; however, while the project was under consideration, St. Mary's farseeing the need for expansion, purchased the property at a considerable reduction in price from the owner who preferred that it be used for hospital purposes. This area, together with another small parcel of land, enabled St. Mary's to make a successful bid for annexation into the city. The city had continually refused previous requests since the hospital, as tax-exempt, would bring no revenue. For many years prior to 1956 St. Mary's had full fire and police protection from the City of Tucson. However, when finally accepted for annexation, the hospital became eligible for city fire protection and was able to save $3,000 a year in insurance fees.
Continue with Chapter II Modern Medical Complex Community Health Needs