Heritage: The Story of St. Mary's Hospital, 1880-1980
By Leo G. Bryne and Sister Alberta Cammack, C.S.J
Chapter II Modern Medical Complex
Convent Closes and Newell Center Comes Down
A long-range plan completed in 1975, indicated further need for renovation and expansion. Plans for a new West Wing were presented, and, after a year, a Certificate of Need was obtained from the Arizona State Department of Health Services. In keeping with the plans, a new power plant had to be completed, and existing buildings had to be serviced before construction of the new wing could begin.
With Newell Center scheduled to come down in the spring of 1977, departments housed in this building had to be moved. This building, the old School of Nursing, had furnished needed offices and storage space over the years since its closing in 1966.
Older water, power, and sewer connections were destined to be cut off along with an intricate system of steam-heating pipes linking the convent and chapel with the Hospital Power Plant. A new convent was planned and a site selected that would not impede future hospital expansion. By June, 1977, the elderly Sisters were moved from the Infirmary and taken to other Century Medical Plaza -- physicians' building facilities in California. When the utilities were cut off to the old convent buildings, hospital Sisters boarded out in various locations throughout the city until the new convent was completed. In January, 1978 the Sisters began moving into the modern complex at the foot of Tumamoc Hill.
Continue with Chapter II Modern Medical Complex New West Wing