Heritage: The Story of St. Mary's Hospital, 1880-1980
By Leo G. Bryne and Sister Alberta Cammack, C.S.J
Chapter II Modern Medical Complex
Santorium and School Eras Close
During the last years of Sister Esther's term as Administrator, St. Mary's was to see the closing of two chapters of its history with razing of the Sanatorium and the announcement that the School of Nursing would close with the graduation of its last class in 1966. For years, the Sanatorium had been "home" to its patients as the School of Nursing had been home to its student nurses. The Sanatorium was to be the first of the old hospital buildings to come down, making way for new facilities. From 1900, its 48 rooms were always filled until 1950 when improved medication for tuberculosis eliminated the need for long-term stays. The School of Nursing, in its turn, had served the community well for over fifty years, graduating about 900 students, many of whom held and are still holding high positions in the field of nursing.
Continue with Chapter II Modern Medical Complex Medicare