Heritage: The Story of St. Mary's Hospital, 1880-1980
By Leo G. Bryne and Sister Alberta Cammack, C.S.J
Chapter II Modern Medical Complex
In looking over the past, it is possible to chronicle the history of St. Mary's primarily in terms of physical expansion -- its buildings, its departments, its services; however, in such a history, the countless hours of effort and the major contributions of the Medical Staff must be acknowledged. In its first formal meetings in 1917, the Medical Staff established committees to maintain high standards of medical care and to improve medical technology. Through its earlier years, physicians loyal to St. Mary's ideals and spirit shared its concerns. They promoted its efforts to educate nurses and interns, to provide new services, and to build new facilities. Besides these efforts on behalf of the hospital, they engaged in community affairs, becoming active in the Arizona Medical Society, promoting early sanitation reforms, serving as public health officers, and donating free services to the poor.
Today, the Medical Staff continues to support and implement hospital efforts. The Chief of Staff and his predecessor serve on the hospital Board of Directors in ex-officio positions sharing in its decisions and forming its policies. Over thirty committees direct and supervise medical care within the hospital. Physicians give of their time to participate in the hospital's in-service and community education lecture series, and well-planned programs and new services have resulted from the concern of St. Mary's physicians.
Continue with Chapter II Modern Medical Complex Nursing Staff