A Heritage of Loving Service: The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in Tucson
navigation bar: histories, photograph collections and homepage

Heritage: The Story of St. Mary's Hospital, 1880-1980
By Leo G. Bryne and Sister Alberta Cammack, C.S.J

Chapter II Modern Medical Complex
Residency and Intern Program

Moving into the sixties, St. Mary's expanded its Intern and Residency Program which it had sponsored alone from 1939 and together with the County Hospital since 1950. The County Hospital, with its 160 teaching beds for indigent patients, and St. Mary's medical teaching staff provided the essentials for a supervised training experience. Additional teaching beds for St. Mary's and the appointment of Dr. Eric Ramsey to the new position of Director of Medical Education in 1960 expanded the hospital's teaching and clinical activities. Tucson Medical Center had its own program, but under a new arrangement, medical lectures were shared with St. Mary's and the County Hospital. The additional teaching beds allowed the two private hospitals to care for a limited number of indigent patients, while the availability of interns and residents assured the care of those admitted to the County Hospital, providing for almost all of its County patients. Those doctors accepted into the program included many who had studied in foreign countries, and for the first time federal regulations requiring a mandatory written examination began to limit the number of foreign graduates who could be admitted to the local training programs. Besides attending lectures, conferences, films, grand rounds and department meetings, the interns and residents took histories, examined, and diagnosed patients. They also prescribed and performed treatment under supervision of the Hospital Medical Staff.

Some of the new doctors who had trained in Mexico stayed in Tucson after finishing the local program. Several joined the Staff at St. Mary's and, because of their growing reputation, families from Sonora and farther to the south brought their sick and injured to St. Mary's for diagnosis and treatment.

Continue with Chapter II Modern Medical Complex Joint Health Planning


Go to the Histories Section Go to the Photograph Collections