Heritage: The Story of St. Mary's Hospital, 1880-1980
By Leo G. Bryne and Sister Alberta Cammack, C.S.J
Chapter III Contemporary St. Mary's
With the reconstruction of the older sections of the hospital to provide access to the West Wing, administrative offices and meeting rooms were remodeled and a new area opened up for Chemotherapy. Originally, the first outpatients undergoing Chemotherapy were treated in the ambulatory section of the South Wing. Later, with a growing demand, a waiting area in the North Wing was enclosed to provide needed space. Today, cancer patients come for treatment to a long spacious room which originally was part of the Century Meeting Room area. It is well-lighted and comfortably furnished with six reclining chairs and two beds. The facility can take care of about eight or nine persons each morning, although the average is about seven a day.
Chemotherapy drugs are given intravenously. The treatment may last from one to four hours and is usually given in 3 to 6 week sessions with intervals which allow the body to rebuild its strength. Special medications are given to help prevent adverse side effects. The patients are encouraged to keep on a good diet and to lead as normal a life as possible.
Certain patients are able to regain their strength after chemotherapy; others may find the cancer arrested for a short time. Although much has been done for specific types of cancer, the possibilities of other "cures" still lie in the future.
Continue with Chapter III: Contemporary St. Mary's Electroencephalograph Lab