In The Steps of Esteban: Tucson's African American Heritage

Go to A Brief HistoryGo to Biographies & Oral Histories
Go to Special Topics & Publications
Go to Photographic Exhibits
To to Lesson Plans & Ideas
Go to Videos
Go to Related Web Pages
Go to In The Steps of Esteban's homepage

Photographic Exhibits
African American Churches in Tucson, Arizona, 1900 - 1990

Gideon Missionary Baptist Church
Page 1 of 2
[rights information on images]

Gideon was founded in 1967 as a result of a vision shown to Sister Ophelia Sledge. Rev. John Sledge became the acting pastor until the first called minister, Rev. T. S. Jackson, assumed leadership the same year. After retiring in 1982, one of Rev. Jackson's "sons in the ministry," Rev. Warren Anderson became pastor, a position he continues to hold. The church has only had two official ministers.

Gideon is located at 3085 S. Campbell, telephone number 622-8472. The membership is approximately 220.

Principal researcher: Gary Cunningham

Gideon Missionary Baptist Church
Gideon Missionary Baptist Church
[UALSC]



Church Founders, left to right: Ophelia Sledge, Luvenia Warren,
Church Founders, left to right: Ophelia Sledge, Luvenia Warren,
Freddie Williams, Richard Bass, Arthur Grace, Susie Taylor, Goldie McCoy,
Johnnie Lewis, Sadonia Jackson, and T. S. Jackson
[UALSC]

Continue with more images of Gideon Missionary Baptist Church