In The Steps of Esteban: Tucson's African American Heritage

Go to A Brief HistoryGo to Biographies & Oral Histories
Go to Special Topics & Publications
Go to Photographic Exhibits
To to Lesson Plans & Ideas
Go to Videos
Go to Related Web Pages
Go to In The Steps of Esteban's homepage

Photographic Exhibits
African American Churches in Tucson, Arizona, 1900 - 1990

Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church
Page 1 of 2
[rights information on images]

Mt. Calvary is the oldest and largest of all the Black churches in Tucson. It was founded in 1900. Rev. Bell was the first pastor. In 90 years there have been 13 ministers. Rev. Humphrey was called a second time after Pastor N. Newell served. Rev. T. Ellsworth Gantt, II has been pastor since 1978; only Rev. P. B. Cornelius (1920-1932) has enjoyed that kind of longevity. Rev. Duane Shrock, a White minister, is Assistant to the Pastor.

Mt. Calvary is located at 210 E. Lester, telephone number 624-3813. The membership is around 1200.

Principal researcher: Mia Hadjerioua

Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church
Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church
[UALSC]



Singing Carlettes, 1943, KTUC studio
Singing Carlettes, 1943, KTUC studio
[UALSC]

Continue with more images of Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church