African American Churches in Tucson, Arizona, 1900 - 1990
Mt. Olive Church of God in Christ
Page 1 of 3
[rights information on images]
Mt. Olive is the fourth oldest Black church in Tucson. It was founded in 1923, under the guidance of Elder Rivers and Elder Wilson. Elder Law became the first minister in 1926. Elder Taylor, who became a Bishop, gave Mt. Olive its current name and was the pastor for 47 years, from 1927 until his death in 1974. He was succeeded by Bishop Felton King, who retired in 1987, and was succeeded by Elder J. S. Ellis, the current pastor.
The church is located at 403 E. Lee Street, telephone number 884-7929. The membership is around 100.
Principal researcher: John Armour
Mount Olive Church of God in Christ, 1990
Church construction, October 1961
Continue with images of Mt. Olive Church of God in Christ