The Old Fort Lowell Neighborhood

introduction | hohokam | settlers | the fort | el fuerte | anglo | today | annual events | walking tour

Walking Tour
Camp Lowell - Cottonwood Lane
Site #4

Cottonwood Lane looking west with officer's row on left and parade grounds behind wooden fence on the right, 1888
Cottonwood Lane looking west with officer's row on left and parade grounds behind wooden fence on the right, 1888 Arizona Historical Society #29123

In 1873 Camp Lowell was moved from the town of Tucson to this outlying location. The new site was chosen for the dependable water supply and lush grasses convenient for grazing the post livestock.

Between 1875 and 1880 a long double row of cottonwood trees was planted between the officer's quarters and the parade grounds. It became known as Cottonwood Lane. In 1963, Pima County Parks and Recreation planted the present cottonwoods in approximately the same location as the old trees although the lane is now narrower.

Next: Post Hospital

Tour Map
Sites 1-9 | Sites 10-23