The Old Fort Lowell Neighborhood

introduction | hohokam | settlers | the fort | el fuerte | anglo | today | annual events | walking tour

Walking Tour
Post Hospital
Site #5

[24K]
Post Hospital, looking north, ca. 1889
Arizona Historical Society #B93874

The post hospital, like other Fort buildings, was an adobe structure built in the Sonoran architectural style with thick walls, dirt floors and a roof made of pine vigas, or beams, overlain with saguaro ribs, brush, and six to eight inches of dirt. Most of the labor was done by the troops.

Conditions were difficult the first summer of building. A story made the rounds that temperatures rose so high that two thermometers were tied end-to-end to give the mercury enough room in which to expand. When the main buildings were completed four years after construction began, Camp Lowell (later designated a Fort) was laid out like other posts in the Southwest, with buildings situated around a rectangular parade ground. There were approximately forty-five buildings in all. (Please see post hospital displays in the museum at Site 6 for further information.)

Next: Commanding Officer's Quarters

Tour Map
Sites 1-9 | Sites 10-23