Mission Churches of the Sonoran Desert

La Purísima Concepción de Caborca
Caborca, Sonora, Mexico

view of La Purísima Concepción de Caborca through an arch at the entrance

The Arch at Carborca Mission. Completed in 1809 by the same master who built San Xavier del Bac in Arizona, this lovely stone church has suffered from flooding twice in the present century. The floods of 1994 removed the recently restored convent wing and slightly damaged the apse of the church itself.


Oblique view of the Caborca Mission

Oblique view of the Caborca Mission. The church stands in a plaza dedicated to the heroism of the Caborcans who defended their village in April, 1857, against members of Henry Alexander Crabb's filibustering expedition. The arch in front of the church is from the graveyard of the mission church at Batuc, Sonora, and was brought to Caborca when that mountain community was submerged under the waters of a man-made lake.

We are fortunate to have historical images of La Purísima Concepción de Caborca Mission after the 1917 Flood. The images you see were provided by former UA graduate student and fourth generation Arizonan-Sonoran, Walter Pentland IV.

We also have more images of the Mission, photographed in March 2001 by David Cashman of Sydney, Australia.

Caborca | Cocóspera | Magdalena | Oquitoa | Pitiquito |
San Ignacio
| San Xavier | Tubutama | Tumacacori | Home

Go to the San Xavier del Bac mission page Go to the Tumacacori mission page Go to the Pitiquito mission page Go to the Caborca mission page Go to the Tubutama mission page Go to the Oquitoa mission page Go to the Cocospera mission page Go to the San Ignacio mission page Go to the Magdalena mission page