Mission Churches of the Sonoran Desert

San Antonio de Oquitoa Mission
Oquitoa, Sonora, Mexico

San Antonio de Oquitoa Mission

The only still-used church in the region of Jesuit (pre-1767) construction, this simple adobe hall church stands atop a small hill in the midst of the village cemetary.


statue of St. Anthony of Padua stands in its niche behind the altar of the church at Oquitoa

Cristo and Dolores: gospel side altar. The statue of St. Anthony of Padua stands in its niche behind the altar of the church at Oquitoa. Some of the mesquite beams in the ceiling date from the 18th Century. Like many of the colonial churches in the region, the mission at Oquitoa preserves many of its 18th-Century statues, among them these almost life-sized figures of the crucified Christ and the Sorrowing Mother.

Caborca | Cocóspera | Magdalena | Oquitoa | Pitiquito |
San Ignacio
| San Xavier | Tubutama | Tumacacori | Home

Go to the San Xavier del Bac mission page Go to the Tumacacori mission page Go to the Pitiquito mission page Go to the Caborca mission page Go to the Tubutama mission page Go to the Oquitoa mission page Go to the Cocospera mission page Go to the San Ignacio mission page Go to the Magdalena mission page