HomePeopleCeremonial LifePublications and ResourcesAudio and VideoSite Index

Old Pascua Photographs, ca. 1938

Click any image to retrieve a larger copy


Juan Molonko (center)
Juan Molonko (center) sitting against a wooden wall, smoking a cigarette, perhaps taking a break during a ceremony. The woman (right) is wearing a traditional hiniam (shawl).
Irrigation canal that ran through Old Pascua
Elders recall the sekia, or irrigation canal running through Pascua during their youth in the 1930s until the early 1940s. Many remember crossing the plank-board bridge (shown) on their way to the original Richey Elementary School.

The sekia was part of the Flowing Wells Irrigation Canal that ran from 'A' Mountain to Wetmore. Water from the sekia was used for washing laundry, making adobe for house construction and for irrigating gardens but never for drinking. The water was carried from the canal in buckets (as shown), in carts (like the kareeta shown in the image of the children [22K]) or with a plankan (a transport system consisting of two buckets suspended from a pole and carried over the shoulders).

The community also used the sekai for swimming and for blessing themselves on San Jan Taewai, (the feast of St. John the Baptist, or Día de San Juan as it is known in the Mexican community). Yoeme men cleaned and maintained the sekia by clearing weeds, moss, and algae. Elders believe the canal "just stopped running" in the late 1940s. It ran roughly along what is now Fairview Avenue and was eventually paved over.

Next Page