John Beattie (Jack) Lyman

John B. Lyman was a member of the San Diego architectural firm of Bristow and Lyman. Not much is known of Bristow in Tucson.

Lyman was the younger of the two men, and an up-and-coming designer and draftsman. He was a friend of Roy Place in San Diego, another soon-to-be-heard-from designer-draftsman.

Lyman was born in Buffalo, New York, in May, 1883. He attended public schools there and began work as a draftsman and superintendent for the firm of Green & Wicks. He was with the firm from 1889 until 1904.

In 1906, Lyman worked for L. B. Dutton, was a designer for C. F. Whittlesley from 1906 to 1910 and was associated with MacDonald and Applegarth from 1910 to 1911.

He was registered as an architect in California in 1911 and was an associate of L. T. Bristow from 1911 to 1917

In 1914, the firm of Bristow and Lyman was awarded the architectural contract for the design of the UA Agriculture Building. The contract was the result of a competition that the firm entered. It is quite possible that Lyman was the principal architect for that building, but records do not document it. He signed the plans for the UA Mines and Engineering building completed in 1918. The two buildings are similar in design, with some differences that will be noted later in this account.

Lyman served as a member of the first Arizona State Board of Registration for Architects and Professional Engineers from 1921 to 1924. He formed a partnership for an architectural firm in Tucson with Roy Place in 1919.

He was married to Margaret Bingham of San Diego and they were the parents of two children, John B. Lyman Jr., and a daughter, Mrs. James L. Foster.

Most of the work on the Agriculture Building in 1914-15 was done while Bristow and Lyman were still located as a partnership in San Diego. Lyman is known to have visited the building site, but most of the details of the work were carried out in correspondence between R. H. Forbes, Director of the University of Arizona Agricultural Experiment Station, and Bristow.

Lyman moved to Tucson in 1916 and began to work on the Mines and Engineering Building at the UA. In 1918, he was commissioned a First Lieutenant in the U. S. Corps of Engineers and was stationed in San Francisco. He returned to Tucson, discharged from the service, after the end of World War I.

With Roy Place, who Lyman had persuaded to move to Tucson and become a partner in Lyman's architecture firm, he organized Tucson's first Rotary Club, in 1921, and became its first president. He remained an honorary member of the Tucson Rotary Club after he moved back to San Diego in 1924.

He left Tucson to take over the presidency of the S. M. Bingham Company, a large department store. Bingham had, died, so Lyman, who had married one of Bingham's two daughters, Margaret, agreed to operate the facility along with the husband of Bingham's other daughter, Elizabeth Marrick.

Lyman moved back to Tucson in 1954 and maintained an office here. Roy Place had died in 1950 and Lyman wanted to go into partner-ship with Roy's son, Lew Place. Lew, however, declined; he was doing well.

Lyman married the widow of a prominent physician, Jane Watson Lyman. Her husband had been Dr. Samuel H. Watson, who with Dr. Meade Cline, founded the Tucson Clinic.

Lyman died at age 76 in 1959. His second wife, Jane Watson Lyman, died in 1982 at 94 years of age.

previous arrow          next aarow