Spanish Colonial Mission Church Revival Architecture: St. Philip's in the Hills

 

The Baptistry

baptistry wide angle view
image: GM

This room is used for Baptisms when they are not performed during worship in the nave. It is in an octagonal shape, a traditional form for baptistries in Europe. The shape represents the Resurrection, because it is reported that Jesus rose from the grave on the eighth day after he entered Jerusalem. The Baptistry was built during the remodeling of St. Philip’s in 1957 and is based on Josias Joesler’s architectural plans. The ceiling repeats the pattern of the Chapel ceiling. The arched window is a small replica of the window behind the altar in the nave and reaffirms the importance of baptism as the first step toward full communion in the church. On the walls are the marble relief panels carved by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo in the early 16th century in Pavia, Italy. View a panorama of the Baptistry. [378K]

Download the free QuickTime player | Tips on viewing the panoramas

previous previousnext next