Through Our Parents Eyes
Jump to Menu Jump to Content

Tom's University Area Photos, 1920's

In 1916 Mrs. Lavinia Steward donated money to the University for the construction of an observatory for the Astronomy Department. This picture shows the building during construction. Built on the far eastern edge of the campus, students and faculty began making observations of the stars after completion in 1923.
In 1916 Mrs. Lavinia Steward donated money to the University for the construction of
an observatory for the Astronomy Department. This picture shows the building during
construction. Built on the far eastern edge of the campus, students and faculty began
making observations of the stars after completion in 1923.

Herring Hall 1903. Second oldest building now on campus.
Herring Hall 1903
Second oldest building now on campus.

This swimming pool was constructed in 1916 and also served the University as a water reservoir. Note incomplete observatory to the rear.
This swimming pool was constructed in 1916 and also served the University as a water reservoir. Note incomplete observatory to the rear.

South Hall was where Tom lived in 1899. 
South Hall was where Tom lived in 1899. In this photo, the building has second floor screened sleeping porches which were added on top of the original wings.

North Hall was the only stone building constructed on campus.
North Hall was the only stone building constructed on campus. A sleeping porch was added at the rear in 1911 and the heavy porch timbers in 1915. The windmill and water tank (left) are at the Marshall home.

Continue with Tom's University Area Photos, 1920's