Through Our Parents Eyes
Jump to Menu Jump to Content

Tom's University Area Photos, 1920's

Memorial Fountain
The Memorial Fountain. In her book, A Photographic History of the University of Arizona
1885-1985
, Phyllis Ball wrote: "Situated at the west entrance of Old Main, the Memorial Fountain,
honoring those UA students who lost their lives in World War I, was the gift of Alexander Berger,
an uncle of Alexander Tindolph Berger, one of those to whose memory it is dedicated. Designed
by Tucson architects, Lyman and Place, it cost $5,500. The Cactus Garden continued to flourish
on its western side." Compare this photo to one shot in June 2007 from the same location.


Maricopa Hall was constructed as a woman's dorm and completed in 1921. Naming of this building marked the beginning of using County names for dormitories.

The interior of Maricopa Hall. On the desk to the right, young ladies had to sign in and out of the building and state their destination. Note the many Navajo rugs in the reception room.
The interior of Maricopa Hall. On the desk to the right, young ladies had to sign in and out of the building and state their destination. Note the many Navajo rugs in the reception room.

 

This building was constructed in 1904 to house the library, president's office and state museum, all to be moved from Old Main. The Douglass Building today is the third oldest building still standing on the campus.
This building was constructed in 1904 to house the library, president's office and state museum, all to be moved from Old Main. The Douglass Building today is the third oldest building still standing on the campus.

The Science Hall, built in 1909, is larger than, but similar to the former library-museum. This photo was taken during construction. Currently known as the Speech Building, it is the fourth oldest building on campus.
The Science Hall, built in 1909, is larger than, but similar to the former library-museum. This photo was taken during construction. Currently known as the Speech Building, it is the fourth oldest building on campus.

 

The College of Agriculture built in 1915 between Old Main and Herring Hall.
The College of Agriculture built in 1915 between
Old Main and Herring Hall.

The College of Engineering built in 1918 and originally known as Mines and Engineering.
The College of Engineering built in 1918 and originally known as Mines and Engineering. This building is located north of Old Main. The facades of the Agriculture and Engineering Buildings, along with Tucson High School off campus, are all very similar and easily mistaken for each other.

 

The Main Gate entrance to the University. In 1905, in anticipation of the electric trolley replacing the horse or mule drawn trolley, the barbed wire fence and wooden turn-stile was replaced with brick pillars and a low, stone wall.
The Main Gate entrance to the University. In 1905, in anticipation of the electric trolley replacing the horse or mule drawn trolley, the barbed wire fence and wooden turnstile was replaced with brick pillars and a low, stone wall.

In 1916, the cut stone wall was replaced with the lava rock wall which continues to stand and mark out the original forty acres of the University today.
In 1916, the cut stone wall was replaced with the lava rock wall which continues to stand and mark out the original forty acres of the University today. Compare to this photo looking
from wes
t, taken by Patricia Stephenson in December 2007.

Continue with Tom's University Area Photos, 1920's