Through Our Parents Eyes
Jump to Menu Jump to Content

Drifting Apart, 1911-1916
Armory Park Institutions

.

Tucson City Hall at the turn of the century. The building was constructed of adobe on the bottom and wood frame on top. Note the stage times posted on the side of the building. Tucson City Hall at the turn of the century. The building was constructed of adobe on the bottom and wood frame on top. Note the stage times posted on the side of the building.

The next version of City Hall. This building survived until the mid-1960s when it was demolished to make way for the latest building to house city government. The next version of City Hall. This building survived until the mid-1960s when it was demolished to make way for the latest building to house city government.

 

Pima County Courthouse. Pima County Courthouse.

Tucson’s Old Presidio wall in back of the County Court House. Tucson’s Old Presidio wall in back of the County Court House.

 

Old Pueblo Club, Stone Avenue at Jackson Street.Old Pueblo Club, Stone Avenue at Jackson Street.

Eagle Flour Mill. Eagle Four Mill.

 

St. Mary's Hospital. St. Mary's Hospital. [Learn more about St. Mary's Hospital in A Heritage of Loving Service: The Sisters of St. Joseph's of Carondelet]

St. Joseph's Orphanage located far south of town on Orphanage Road (South Twelfth Avenue). St. Joseph's Orphanage was located far south of town on Orphanage Road (South Twelfth Avenue).

 

The J. Knox Corbett home on North Main Avenue. This home is an excellent example of the Mission Revival Style of architecture, a style heavily influenced by California buildings. Corbett was a prominent Tucson businessman and postmaster. Holmes and Holmes, Architects, designed the building which was completed in 1907. The J. Knox Corbett home on North Main Avenue. This home is an excellent example of the Mission Revival Style of architecture, a style heavily influenced by California buildings. Corbett was a prominent Tucson businessman and postmaster. Holmes and Holmes, Architects, designed the building which was completed in 1907.

Architect Henry Trost received a commission in 1899 to begin plans for the first "Owl's nest," a bachelor's home and meeting place for the fraternal organization. This splendid example of the Mission Revival Style was the result. The building was occupied by the Owls for two years before giving way to first the Manning, then the Steinfeld families.  Architect Henry Trost received a commission in 1899 to begin plans for the first "Owl's nest," a bachelor's home and meeting place for the fraternal organization. This splendid example of the Mission Revival Style was the result. The building was occupied by the Owls for two years before giving way to first the Manning, then the Steinfeld families.

 

Continue with Politics & Newspaper, 1916-1922