Through Our Parents Eyes
Jump to Menu Jump to Content

Developing Marshall Square, 1922-1926
Building Marshall Square

The interior of the University Drug Store. The rounded windows in the wall joining the Gift Shop building to the north are still visible in the 1990s. The interior of the University Drug Store. The rounded windows in the wall joining the Gift Shop building to the north were still visible in the 1990s.

The University Drug Store soda fountain. The University Drug Store soda fountain.

An interior of the drugstore. An interior of the drugstore.

The interior of the University Gift Shop. The interior of the University Gift Shop.

The Tucson Rapid Transit trolley at the end of the line near the University Main Gate

The Tucson Rapid Transit trolley at the end of the line near the University Main Gate.

A 1929 photograph by Professor R. B. Streets from the window of the University library building. In the foreground is the University Drug Store, the trolley and the Pi Phi Sorority House on the southwest corner of Park Avenue and University Boulevard.
A 1929 photograph by Professor R. B. Streets from the window of the University library
building. In the foreground is the University Drug Store, the trolley and the Pi Phi
Sorority House on the southwest corner of Park Avenue and University Boulevard. The
Varsity Inn sits west of the sorority house with the Marshall's Texaco Station one lot farther
west. The large buildings in the background (from left to right) were Tucson High School
at the left edge and above it the Santa Rita Hotel. The Valley National Bank and Pioneer
Hotel stand as Tucson's "twin towers," the latter showing directly beneath the "A" on
the volcanic mountain formerly know as "Sentinel Peak." The dome of the Pima County Court
House is next in line, followed by the square tower of the Eagle Flour Milling Company.

Tom Marshall stood on the roof of the Green Lantern to take this picture of Tiny Links miniature golf course.
Tom Marshall stood on the roof of the Green Lantern to take this picture of Tiny Links
miniature golf course. Most of the houses seen in the background are Marshall properties.
At the far left on Tyndall Avenue are two brick Territorial style homes with a Bungalow
cottage in between. Across the open block to the north are four Spanish Revival Style
duplexes, three near Park Avenue and one at the corner of 1 st Street and Tyndall. The
open lot to the north would eventually have a building constructed there to house the
Arizona Historical Society.

Continue with Building For The Future