Through Our Parents Eyes
Jump to Menu Jump to Content

The University, 1914 - 1921

Aerial view of campus
Aerial veiw of campus. Palm trees (far left) show location of Marshall home in the first
known aerial view of campus. Note the campus is still very similar in appearance to the
1900 map. Old Main was placed in the center of the donated forty acres. When the streets
of Tucson were extended, they did not meet the campus streets, causing Second and Fourth
street entrances to be offset, and a curve in the campus main entrance road. In 1916 gates
similar to the ones standing today were constructed. In 1919, as shown in this picture, two
sheltered benches were constructed, with a bird cage and entrance gate in the middle. In
1922 the single gate was restored. Lower left shows vacant lot where the University
Square stores will soon be built; far lower left will be site of Arizona Historical Society. The
two-story house, center foreground, is Pi Phi house. After the sorority moved to their present
home on Mountain Avenue, Tom Marshall's diary records repairing the roof of the Park Avenue
house, 1930. Photo courtesy Special Collections, University of Arizona Library. FB

Arizona Hall It was the first building completed after statehood. Finished in the spring of 1913.
Arizona Hall - named in honor of Arizona's admission to the union. It was the first building
completed after statehood. Finished in the spring of 1913 as a dormitory for forty men. In
1964, someone wanted the name Arizona for a different dorm, so Arizona was re-named
South Hall. This is the reason South Hall looks so different to returning alumni. TKM FB

The years 1914 to 1921 may be named "The President Rufus Bernhard von KleinSmid Years." In seven years he changed the small school to a real university. His educational improvements were considerable. He is aptly described as energetic, enthusiastic and extremely well liked. He left to become the President of the University of Southern California from 1922 to 1946, remaining there as chancellor until he died in 1964 at the age of 89.

An account of his administration at the University of Arizona could fill a history book, but this is not a geography book. He did inadvertently save land owned by Louise Marshall for the present location of the Arizona Historical Society and Valley National Bank. This land from First Street to one-half block south of Second was known as the Nelson block. The University planned to expand in this direction, but it did not.

In another connection, Louise Marshall and Elizabeth Sawyers von KleinSmid are listed first and second among a dozen founders of Arizona Alpha of Pi Beta Phi in the Desert, the UA yearbook, in both 1918 and 1919 editions as "Sorores in Urbe" or town members. Collegiate members are "Sorores in Universitate." By 1920 only collegiate members are listed.

In 1916 the attractive volcanic stone wall was built along Park Avenue. It was paid for by subscription at $1.25 a foot. The double drive with double entrance gates were there only a short time. By 1922 the gate was changed to the present location.

The campus changed very little from 1919 to 1935. Major structures built were Maricopa Hall, Steward Observatory and Cochise Hall in 1921, the Library (now Arizona State Museum, North) in 1925, Men's Gymnasiun and Armory in 1927, baseball stadium and first part (lower, west side) of the present football of stadium in 1929.

The words "Bear Down" were painted on the newly completed gymnasium roof. During the time it was being built "Button" Salmon, student body president and football team member, was injured in an automobile accident. Just before he died "Button" gave Athletic Director J. F. McKale a message for the team; legend has it he told Coach McKale, "Tell them to bear down."

Double sheltered benches flanked the new entance gate.
Double sheltered benches flanked the new entance gate. This may have seemed
a good idea from the campus view, but the new location for an entrance gate did
not meet University Avenue. The original location for the gate was soon restored.
The rounded dome is part of a large wire cage for birds. TKM

Continue with Building the University Square, 1922