Through Our Parents Eyes
Jump to Menu Jump to Content

The University and Tucson in 1990

The Univeristy in 1890. An unfinished building, 40 acres and a barbed wire fence.
The Univeristy in 1890. An unfinished building, 40 acres and a barbed wire fence.

The University in 1990. 152 buildings (including UMC), 295 acres plus 42 acres for UMC.
The University in 1990. 152 buildings (including UMC), 295 acres plus
42 acres for UMC. The 2006-2007 UA Factbook lists 91 buildings and
387 total acres maintained.

View from Gould-Simpson Building. Old Main is among the buildings, left center.
View from Gould-Simpson Building. Old Main is among the buildings, left center.
The white multi-story buildings of the College of Medicine (center, back) are on the
former Polo Field. PPS FB

Tucson in February 1990. Railroad tracks run across the middle of the picture.
Tucson in February 1990. Railroad tracks run across the middle of the picture. The
Tucson Convention Center is right, foreground. Left, center, surrounded by tall buildings,
is the dome of the Pima County courthouse built within the former presidio wall. Far right is
the University with 35,000 students and a football stadium for 53,000 spectators. Manley photo.

A person living in Tucson in 1900, could not have imagined what it would be like in 1990.

A student at the new University of Arizona in 1891 could not have imagined how many people would want to attend the University in 1990:

If we can provide for many people without entirely wiping out the past, we can have the best of both worlds!

Continue with Restoration ... and a Happy Ending