Blood, Marriage, and Compadrazgo
by Vanessa Medeiros
The following people were all living in Barrio Anita in the fifties. These are the ways in which they were connected:
1. Godoy/Monreal. Maria de Jesus Urias Monreal, daughter of Virginia Urias and Jose Monreal, married Albino Godoy.
2. Aguirre/Cancio. Manuela Urias Cancio, daughter of Guadalupe Urias and Juan Cancio, married Juan Aguirre, son of Fabian Aguirre.
3 & 14. Tellez/Aguirre. In house #3, Fabian Aguirre lived with his wife Refugia Tellez. In house #14 was the home of Alfred Tellez and his family (see Tellez interview).
4. Acedo/Teliez. Related through marriage to the Tellez family.
5. Campas/Godoy. Federico Campas and Maria Gastelum, godparents of Teodoro Roberto Godoy, son of Maria Jesus Urias Monreal and Albino Godoy.
6. Villelas/Del Cid/Monreal. Manuel Villelas married Consuelo del Cid. Consuelo's sister, Socorro, married Guadalupe Monreal, the son of Virginia Urias Monreal.
7. Cruz/Ramos/Cancio. Luz Cancio Cruz, daughter of Guadalupe Urias and Juan Cancio, married Pascual Cruz. Francisca Cruz, daughter of Luz and Pascual, married Jose Arvayo Ramos.
8. Urias/Cancio/Monreal. Guadalupe Urias married Juan Cancio. She was also the sister of Virginia Urias Monreal.
9. Fraijo/Urias/Ortiz. Isabel Ortiz, daughter of Angelita Urias Ortiz and Francisco Ortiz, married Abraham Fraijo.
10. Hernandez/Ochoa/Godoy. Ricardo, son of Tomas Hernandez and Guadalupe Ochoa Hernandez, married Manuela Godoy, daughter of Maria de Jesus Urias Monreal and Albino Godoy.
11. Urias/Monreal. Virginia Urias, widow of Jose Monreal.
12. Gonzales/Urias. Rafael Urias Gonzalez was Virginia Urias Monreal's nephew. He was a son of her half sister.
13. Armenta/Urias. Aurelia Urias married Alejandro Armenta. Aurelia is the daughter of Jesus Maria Urias, son of a nephew of Virginia Urias Monreal.
15. Cruz/Samorano. Ramona Cruz, daughter of Luz and Pascual Cruz, married Rodolfo Samorano.
Source: Jorge Godoy interviews, 6/19/98 and 6/26/98.