Since the time Professor Foucar had built her home in 1902, there were many changes in the neighborhood and the University. From, the time of their marriage in 1904, of course, her home was now the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas K. Marshall. Of the several hundred Thomas Marshall photographs that I have, many are of the University and Tucson area. The few shown here are of their home and a some of the nearby buildings on the original University forty acres. Photographic gems like the ostrich farm over by the new observatory are saved for a future book. Tom frequently walked across the street to document campus buildings.
As dedicated to her philanthropies as ever, Louise would send money: or Tom would deliver food when friends told them of someone needing help.
She and Tom shared an interest in natural history and started a local Audubon Society. A large room was added for a meeting place and was used by Pi Beta Phi to' establish the Arizona Alpha chapter on campus. Among the buildings added to their yard was a two bedroom bungalow, brick carriage house/barn and a chicken house, a small brick building. It was later converted to an attractive studio apartment.
A copy of the student newspaper, the Arizona Wildcat, for Tuesday March 20, 1928, was among her personal papers. The front page story "Arizona Faculty 28 Years Ago" had the 1900-01 faculty photograph and biographies of the faculty. The paragraph on Louise Marshall reads, "Louise H. Foucar came to this institution in 1899 and taught botany, mathematics and ancient and modern languages until 1902. She married Thomas K. Marshall that year and moved from Pima Hall where she was residing, into a new home just 100 feet north, where she has been ever since. The proximity of Mrs. Marshall's home seems to make it part of the campus."
The marriage date was 1904, not 1902. North Hall became Pima Hall in 1913 (later changed back to North Hall because a new dormatory, now the Slonaker Building, would be named Pima Hall. Today, Slonaker House is home to the Honors College and Music). North Hall was the Business and Public Administration building from 1940 to 1955.
Louise Marshall was still the intense business woman, all deeds for land carried a statement "this property was originally from money that was a gift from her father." In other words, her separate property. This meant that the real estate was not community property. The interconnection of their lives, personalities, marriage and business interests are told in Tom Marshall's Tucson.