The complex of stores that Louise and Tom Marshall built on the north side of the street at the east entrance of the university could be referred to as "the first suburban shopping center in Tucson." Designs were carefully researched before the stores were built, photographs were made of buildings in the Los Angeles and Pasadena areas. The University Square was the name given to the buildings. The 1924 Tucson City Directory lists the following stores and their street numbers: 927, University Barber Shop; 931, Copper Kettle Restaurant; 925 University Station Post Office; 937, University Market; 939, University Bookstore. The drug store on the comer had a Park Avenue address.
In 1924 most of the businesses were downtown, on or near Congress and Stone. Tucson had twelve drug stores, six book stores, thirty-five restaurants, twenty-five barber shops, four beauty parlors, one downtown post office, twenty-two meat markets, and ninety-six groceries. The closest any of these businesses were to the University, except for the Yucca Tea Room at 841 N. Tyndall, was the 400 block of North Fourth A venue. So this was a new area of shops, conveniently located at the end of the trolley line.
Fifty years later buildings on the south side of the street would be replaced by a row of attractively designed stores and a large wall graphic proclaiming it to be: "University Square" so this became an area name. The name "Marshall Square" now better describes the stores that are part of the subject of this book.