Cavalry Corral and Stables Site #9


This huge corral measured 160 feet square and had room for as many as 100 horses within its eight foot high adobe walls. Individual stalls, protected by a roof, lined the walls. The corral also contained several buildings, including a blacksmith's shop, a storage shed, a granary, and the stable orderlies' building. The hay storage yard, west of the corral, was also enclosed by adobe walls.

The corral was used by the soldiers from 1873, when they moved to this location from Tucson, until 1891, when the Fort was abandoned.