This chapel, dedicated in 1932, was built over the ruins of an older church destroyed by a cyclone in 1929. Both were constructed by the men of El Fuerte and served people as far east as Sabino Canyon and Tanque Verde Loop.
The hill where the chapel stands was once the center of El Fuerte. A cluster of houses stood here, along with a well on the northwest slope. In springtime and summer, baseball games were played on nearby diamonds.
San Pedro served its people until 1948, when the doors of St. Cyril's on Pima Street and Swan Road were opened. In 1993 the Old Fort Lowell Neighborhood Association, Inc., purchased the Chapel from the estate of neighborhood friend, Nik Krivitsky. The Chapel has been stabilized and is being restored as closely as possible to historical authenticity.
In 1982 San Pedro Chapel became the first Historic Landmark to be designated by the City of Tucson. It has also been honored by the Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission and placed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.