The art work presented on this website is available only to University of Arizona students, faculty, staff and affiliates. Access to these pages requires an authorized UA network ID and password.
On behalf of the University of Arizona, the Learning Technologies Center expresses its gratitude to St. Philip's In The Hills Episcopal Church for granting the University community access to its exceptional art collection.
St. Philip's In The Hills' architecture is the subject of Through Our Parents' Eyes Spanish Colonial Mission Church Revival Architecture. Located at the entrance to the original Catalina Foothills Estates residential subdivision, this 1936 church design conveys, in its form and use of materials, the 18th and 19th century Spanish colonial mission churches of northern Mexico.
Throughout its nearly forty years in Tucson, St. Philip's In The Hills has acquired an exception art collection through church members donations. Among the most impressive parts of its collection are thirteen pieces donated by Rush Kress, on behalf of the Kress Foundation. Rush Kress, whose wife was a UA alumnus, was a friend of church's rector and lived part-time in Tucson.
Ms. Jean Cox, St. Philip's Director of Fine Arts for many years, researched many of the church's art objects. Her research is represented on the pages featuring the church's art. Please read the About page for more information.