Tom lived in the newly completed South Hall and participated in many of the activities offered to the University student of that time.
Facing north toward the Santa Catalina Mountains, c. 1902. (left to right)
The south end of South Hall, the roof of the two-story home of Professor Foucar,
North Hall, and the School of Mines or Main Building, now called "Old Main."
Thomas Marshall in military uniform in his dorm room in South Hall. His diary notes
that as a cadet in 1901 he participated in the dedication of the State Capitol in Phoenix.
In the 1903 Burro, the first University of Arizona yearbook, he is pictured as a Lieutenant.
His hobby was photography, and he photographed the active life on campus mixing field trips and the changing nature of a growing University.
Denizens of South Hall. This dormitory housed the students in the preparatory program, some as young as 13 years old.
Surveyors in front of the Main Building
In his second year, 1900-1901, Tom took a class in plane geometry taught by University instructor, Louise Foucar; at the time he was 30, she was 36. For his effort, he earned a C. Outside of the classroom, the two came into contact as the result of her role in teaching botany and his job as a gardener on campus. Tom concluded his college career in 1903 without ever earning a degree. Louise left teaching in 1902. Both, however, continued to support the fledging institution throughout their lives.
Freighter heading east over the Big Wash near what is now Stevens Avenue. The Catalina Mountains tower in the background and adobe houses appear at the rear of the wagon. In the distance, over the horse's head was the double roofs of the Presbyterian sponsored Tucson Indian Training School. To the far right is the University . Girls at the Tucson Indian School playing ball. The building behind them is the school which started classes in 1888. For the first few years, the school was larger than the University.
Students and instructor at the Indian School. Some of these students were on the football team that played against the University squad. Trolley returning to town from Elysian Grove. The Grove had been renamed
in 1903 by the new owner, Emanuel Drachman. Leopoldo Carrillo originally
developed Carrillo's Gardens in 1878. A popular park and lake, the Grove
served as the site for some of the University's early athletic events. Horse and trolley downtown on West Congress Street Mining engineers, classmates of Tom's, ready to board the train
for a mining excursion.
Convento San Agustin facing northwest. The old ruins were located
at the foot of Sentinel Peak along the road to the Mission San Xavier del Bac. The ruins of Casa Grande in central Arizona. A few years after this picture was taken, the ruins were designated a National Monument and had a protective roof structure placed overhead. Photographs of Fort Lowell and the surrounding desert
Scenes from Tom's Photo Albums San Xavier
Wide view of the Mission taken c. 1903.
Nearly 20 years later, Tom Marshall took another picture of San Xavier. Close-up of the main entrance. Note the intricate plaster work on this building which was completed in 1796. Interior views of the Chapel, c. 1903. The banners indicate the photos were taken at Christmas time.
Tom's Photo Albums Old Barrio
St. Augustine Cathedral on South Stone Avenue, c. 1903. This was the principal church of the Catholic Diocese at that time and of tremendous importance to the nearby barrios located to the south and west. According to the 1961 guide "Buildings of Architectural Significance in Tucson," St. Augustine's Cathedral's was a "colonial type of construction, utilizing heavy masonry walls of local burnt brick, originally with cinder footing and Ashlar stone foundation. Original tower terminated 40 feet above ground. In 1929 the building was raised another 40 feet, after underpinning, removing cinder bottom, and replacing with reinforced concrete footing. This was accomplished in four-foot sections. Superstructure was continued in brick with concrete slabs and dome. Plastered on outside and made
to conform with Mission arachitecture of the Southwest. Cathedral glass imported from Munich, Germany. People of the Barrio
A small girl on the street at the southern edge of the barrio where the homes were still separated. Harkening back to an earlier time. Two people of the barrio c. 1903.