From Campus to 85 Rincon Road

Marshall home
Marshall home from Old Main 1915 Tom Marshall actually was taking a picture of the
century plant that was blooming in the front yard. From this view the blossoms are
just a speck that looks to be taller than the roof, between the porch and their tall palm.
These palms are a useful time gauge. TKM

Since the time Professor Foucar had built her home in 1902, there were many changes in the neighborhood and the University. From, the time of their marriage in 1904, of course, her home was now the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas K. Marshall. Of the several hundred Thomas Marshall photographs that I have, many are of the University and Tucson area. The few shown here are of their home and a some of the nearby buildings on the original University forty acres. Photographic gems like the ostrich farm over by the new observatory are saved for a future book. Tom frequently walked across the street to document campus buildings.

As dedicated to her philanthropies as ever, Louise would send money: or Tom would deliver food when friends told them of someone needing help.

She and Tom shared an interest in natural history and started a local Audubon Society. A large room was added for a meeting place and was used by Pi Beta Phi to' establish the Arizona Alpha chapter on campus. Among the buildings added to their yard was a two bedroom bungalow, brick carriage house/barn and a chicken house, a small brick building. It was later converted to an attractive studio apartment.

View north from Old Main
View north from Old Main to the Marshall's home, located to the right of the large tree in
the middle of the photo. Only the porch of Old Main is the same, but remember the 1889
first picture of the still unfinished Main Building surrounded by creosote bushes?
Note the foreground bushes-creosote! Good old Larrea tridentata, it is a hundred and
one years later and it is back on campus! PPS

A copy of the student newspaper, the Arizona Wildcat, for Tuesday March 20, 1928, was among her personal papers. The front page story "Arizona Faculty 28 Years Ago" had the 1900-01 faculty photograph and biographies of the faculty. The paragraph on Louise Marshall reads, "Louise H. Foucar came to this institution in 1899 and taught botany, mathematics and ancient and modern languages until 1902. She married Thomas K. Marshall that year and moved from Pima Hall where she was residing, into a new home just 100 feet north, where she has been ever since. The proximity of Mrs. Marshall's home seems to make it part of the campus."

Front Porch guests
Unidentified guests pose on the Marshall's front porch. TKM

The marriage date was 1904, not 1902. North Hall became Pima Hall in 1913 (later changed back to North Hall because a new dormatory, now the Slonaker Building, would be named Pima Hall. Today, Slonaker House is home to the Honors College and Music). North Hall was the Business and Public Administration building from 1940 to 1955.

Louise Marshall was still the intense business woman, all deeds for land carried a statement "this property was originally from money that was a gift from her father." In other words, her separate property. This meant that the real estate was not community property. The interconnection of their lives, personalities, marriage and business interests are told in Tom Marshall's Tucson.

Old Main from 85
Old Main from 85 Rincon Road 1911. This picture could be titled "The North Side of North
Hall: A View Seldom Seen." The Marshall home is ten years old; a view to campus goes
beyond the post and pipe fence with its white wooden gate, the neatly trimmed hedge,
bare trees and utility pole. The hill on which Old Main was built is clearly shown by the sun
shining on the dirt road surrounding the building. TKM
Same view as previous image almost a hundred years later
The same view in 1990 East Cottage was replaced by Yuma Hall in 1937, partially
blocking the view to Old Main. The location of the gate has been moved twenty feet
east of view (left in this picture) PPS
View of the Marshall house
The Marshall home from campus. The large bare trees are the same as in the picture
two above, probably taken at the same day. The purpose of this picture is to show the
flowering century plant. The windmill is still in place. The palms are growing, giving
us a good record of passing time. This picture was taken, ~1912-14. Rincon Road
(now Second Street) crosses in front of the Marshall's home. TKM
Site of Marshall home 2007
Site of Marshall home in 1990 is the open space in the middle of this picture east
of Harvill Building (left). Harvill faces Olive Road and was built in 1981 on the former
site of Robert Forbes home. Since it was built on Forbes home site it could have been
named for Forbes, but maybe no one thought of that. Business and Public Administration
(right) building was built in 1965 on the comer of Palm Road and Second Street. Palm
Road, a very pleasant blocklong neighborhood will be shown later in this book. In 1951
the Marshall Terrace apartments were built here. They were tom down for BPA site in 1967. PPS


Part of which site