Oquitoa, Sonora, Mexico
The only still-used church in the region of Jesuit (pre-1767) construction, this simple adobe hall church stands atop a small hill in the midst of the village cemetary.
Cristo and Dolores: gospel side altar. The statue of St. Anthony of Padua stands in its niche behind the altar of the church at Oquitoa. Some of the mesquite beams in the ceiling date from the 18th Century. Like many of the colonial churches in the region, the mission at Oquitoa preserves many of its 18th-Century statues, among them these almost life-sized figures of the crucified Christ and the Sorrowing Mother.
Part of which site