Mt. Calvary is the oldest and largest of all the Black churches in Tucson. It was founded in 1900. Rev. Bell was the first pastor. In 90 years there have been 13 ministers. Rev. Humphrey was called a second time after Pastor N. Newell served. Rev. T. Ellsworth Gantt, II has been pastor since 1978; only Rev. P. B. Cornelius (1920-1932) has enjoyed that kind of longevity. Rev. Duane Shrock, a White minister, is Assistant to the Pastor.
Mt. Calvary is located at 210 E. Lester, telephone number 624-3813. The membership is around 1200.
Principal researcher: Mia Hadjerioua