Mt. Olive is the fourth oldest Black church in Tucson. It was founded in 1923, under the guidance of Elder Rivers and Elder Wilson. Elder Law became the first minister in 1926. Elder Taylor, who became a Bishop, gave Mt. Olive its current name and was the pastor for 47 years, from 1927 until his death in 1974. He was succeeded by Bishop Felton King, who retired in 1987, and was succeeded by Elder J. S. Ellis, the current pastor.
The church is located at 403 E. Lee Street, telephone number 884-7929. The membership is around 100.
Principal researcher: John Armour